Cloud is a popular term, but what exactly does it actually mean? Read all about online storage in the cloud in this article.
What is the cloud?
People can store files, or copies thereof, on a USB stick, for example, but also online. We also call storing files online in the cloud. The meaning of this English word is ‘cloud’. It indicates that work is done via the internet. The hms global solutions have the best options here.
What do I need?
A company makes space available in a so-called data center to store data, possibly against payment. In order to work in the cloud, users need an account with a password for such a so-called cloud service. The services often offer limited free storage. Those who store a lot of videos and photos have to switch to paid space. To use the cloud, people also need an internet connection.
There are several advantages to the cloud:
- In the event of a fire or burglary, the files are safe, because they are stored outside.
- The files are accessible from any device with the internet.
- Multiple devices can be synchronized with each other.
- Online storage can be used as an (automatic) backup option.
- Below we will discuss the online backup and synchronization in more detail.
There are many valuable files on devices such as the computer, smartphone and tablet. It is recommended that you take a backup to avoid losing these files. A backup is nothing more and nothing less than a copy of the information in another place. That place can be an external hard drive or USB stick, but it can also be online. With an online backup of files you run no risk of loss, theft or damage of, for example, the external hard drive.
People can also sync the files stored in the Secure Cloud Access. Simply put, the latest version of a file will then be available on multiple devices. A photo is then on the smartphone, but also on the computer, for example. It is very handy for people who have more than one digital device.
Some people fear that files are not safe in the cloud or that others will be able to access the data. In general this is not the case. It is of course wise to choose a strong password and to keep login details safe.
The following points of the cloud can be experienced as disadvantageous:
- Free storage space is limited and more storage space can be rented for a fee.
- Someone needs an internet connection to access, update and or synchronize the files.
- Most cloud services work with a special folder on the computer. Everything in it is stored. That means anything you want to keep safe should be moved to that folder.
- There is a risk of ransomware with some services.
Several companies allow people to store files online. The best-known cloud services are iCloud, OneDrive, Google and Dropbox.
iCloud is a service from Apple. It is therefore completely aimed at the users of a Mac, iPhone or iPad. iCloud is installed on those devices by default. Apple directs users to use the service.